Mabel has been into writing poetry, and I have Mama goggles on but I think they are pretty darn good. Click on the picture to make it bigger and read her poem.
My Three Gifts
These Top 10 lists are always fun to participate in. I saw this one from a blog I read and I thought I would join in. There are some fun ones linked up there already, so read away.
My To 10 Tuesday list is about homeschooling.
- . I am so blessed to have meaningful one on one time with each special one.
- I love that we are able to teach them whatever they want to learn about, it makes learning more fun for them. Although we have a curriculum we are using this year, we are certainly not married to it. Our hope is that we are creating a love of learning and they will continue to want to do that.
- Love having the flexibility in our schedules and we can learn ANYWHERE. The world is our classroom. We are able to learn in the van, at the park and even while visiting Daddy at the airport! Fun, fun!!
- Our girls learn to socialize with people of all ages and not be stuck with kids their own ages everyday. In fact, most of their BFF’s are either younger or older than them. It’s fun to watch how the girls connect with other kids that you wouldn’t think they would if in a “public” school setting. I love that they know how to talk to people of all ages. It’s helped our shy one come out of her shell more and give her confidence. Here’s a definition of “socialization,” not what we want for our children at all. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/socialization Yikes!
- My girls are being set up to succeed, you know the expression if first you don’t succeed then try, try again. Well I help them work through problems until we solve it, they grasp it and can teach it back to me. It doesn’t matter how long it takes them to get it either, there is no time limit.
- I love being home with my girls! I don’t love to be out and about running around all the time. It’s fun to watch them learn and play here. I get to see them grow each and every day. Now, we do have certain days that we get to be with other kids, such as ballet for the little ones, horseback riding for the older girls, Girls in Action at church and then we belong to a co-op that meets every other Thursday. In fact, sometimes I feel like it’s too much. 😉
- We get to participate in so many more field trips and get our hands dirty. It’s fun to do things as a family all together and go through the learning process together. I know the older girls grasp more than the littles, but that’s just fine and sometimes they teach them in a way they get it.
- We have to work together as a family to get through our tasks, learning and just doing life skills. They are learning how to be an active, contributing person in our family. It’s not just sit back and watch. When they aren’t doing it, I get to go along side them and encourage them in a helpful way. I get to teach my girls how to be homemakers and teach them skills that they will need one day being a wife and mother.
- Fun science experiments, we get to make messes, take pictures and just FUN with it.
- Teaching them independence, I want my children to know who they are and to value their self-worth. I want them to try things on their own, figure out why or why not it works. I want them to know they are unique and don’t have to conform to society.
I know that homeschooling is not for everyone, but it works for us and we LOVE it!!! No one could change my mind against it.
“A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher” (Luke 6:40). This means that the government-certified curriculum, the teacher herself, and all of their peer “teachers”.
Instead of making a list a of resolutions that only last a few days, I decided to pick a word to focus on throughtout my daily routine.
I want this word to become my theme for the year. I want to make this a way of life for myself and my family.
I want to relish each moment while we are still here and enjoy the blessings God has given me.
I want to be intentional in:
- being a supportive wife
- reading my Bible
- Bible Study
- friendships that endure
- conscious spender
- giving of myself
- serving others
- weight loss for real
As I think about all the areas in my life that I need to be intentional in, all the areas that I need to improve on, all the areas I need to grow in, it gets overwhelming. It makes me want to quit right now. (I won’t though, right?!) Thankfully, even though I will fail miserably many times, I don’t have to do it on my own. In fact, I can’t do this on my own. What a relief since it is only January and I have many months to go! This being intentional thing is going to take some major discipline on my part. It is going to mean laying aside some things that I would rather do, to invest in the people and priorities God has placed in my life. But as I seek God, he will give me the strength I need to live intentionally. Wouldn’t it be great if I got to the end of the year and could put a check in the box that meant I learned to be intentional!? Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. Learning to be intentional is going to be a lifelong journey of allowing the Lord to work in me.
“We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)
- In my life this week…
I am trying to restore order to our home and homeschool time. We’ve been on vacation and having a good time.
- In our homeschool this week…
I am taking Monday to plan out our next week. I haven’t had a chance to do that yet, with all the fun we’ve been having.
- Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Keep it Simple
- Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We spent New Year’s in Marathon, FL with my whole family, there were 19 of us!!! We all made it home alive. We made lots of memories, laughed, kayaked, paddleboarded and even swam in the water.
- My favorite thing this week was…
Getting to see my girls enjoy time with their cousins. Making memories that last forever!
- My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
Playing with their cousins, getting ice cream everyday and getting to interact with a manatee they names Manny
- Things I’m working on…
Being more intentional in all aspects of my life, not sure how that looks yet, still a work in progress right now.
- I’m cooking…
healthy dinners…gotta menu plan today too.
- I’m Reading…
The Atonement Child, by Francine Rivers
It’s a great book that my sister-in-law loaned to me. I can’t put it down.
- I’m grateful for…
A new year and new beginnings, he makes all things new.
- I’m praying for…
God to open my eyes and ears and to help live my life intentionally for Him. Whatever challenges or blessings come my way, I know that it is through Him, and works all things for good.
- A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
These are my girls and their cousins at the beach on New Year’s Eve